Art and design
At All Saints’ CE Primary School Art and Design has a significant and valuable role to play in the overall ethos of this school. This has been recognised by the ‘Arts Mark’ award. The teaching of Art and Design within the school is based upon the following rationale :‑
· Art and design stimulates creativity and imagination
· It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a unique way of understanding and responding to the world
· Pupils use colour, form, texture, pattern and different materials and processes to communicate what they see, feel and think
· Through art and design activities, they learn to make informed value judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions, becoming actively involved in shaping environments
· They explore ideas and meanings in the work of artists, craftspeople and designers
· They learn about the diverse roles and functions of art, craft and design in contemporary life and in different times and cultures
· Art enables children of all abilities to use their creative imagination to achieve their potential with guidance and given criteria
· Art is not taught in isolation, although it retains its creative base and its skills and techniques. Wherever appropriate it is linked to other areas of the curriculum and gives children the opportunities to develop specific art skills and reinforces skills already established.
· Understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts have the power to enrich our personal and public lives
Above all it is hoped that the children will see themselves as Artists and value their own work.